Clock Tower (1877)
Situated between the bustling new office precinct and Botanic Gardens, the Clock Tower has been restored with hospitality in mind.
While it looks similar to how it did pre-earthquakes, it now features state-of-the-art services and infrastructure. This means the 19th Century building has 21st Century standards of accommodation, without compromising its beautiful heritage features.
History and Heritage
The Clock Tower is one of the oldest buildings at the Arts Centre and holds exceptional heritage significance. It was designed by architect, Benjamin Mountfort.
The Clock Tower was Canterbury College’s first stone building, designed as a tribute to the Christian Oxbridge tradition.
Built of basalt and limestone from Christchurch’s Port Hills, the Clock Tower features a tiled entrance and a stained glass window overlooking the divided staircase.
On both sides of the Clock Tower, Canterbury College created tiered classrooms where English, law, classics, mathematics, modern languages, biology and geology were taught.