Fully restored and leased, this beautiful building is complemented by a modern, soaring glass canopy.
History and heritage
The Gymnasium was built to complement the neighbouring Boys’ High School building, serving as a theatre and assembly hall. It was designed in Gothic Revival style by architects Collins and Harman.
Between the two buildings was a swimming pool that was built in 1881. This was built over in the 1950s to provide workshop space for the University’s maintenance staff. The site of the pool is where the modern canopy is located today.