Critically-acclaimed Kiwi songwriter, musician, vocalist and producer Bic Runga is returning to be in residence at The Arts Centre Te Matatiki Toi Ora in July to lead an intensive songwriting workshop exploring all aspects of this creative process, including lyric writing, arranging, and production.
This three-part workshop is aimed at emerging and semi-professional singer-songwriters.
This information is available as a PDF. Click here to download it.
The workshop will cover:
- Discussion around what makes a good song.
- How to musically improve songs including through song structure, melodic hooks, chord substitutions, bass lines, vocal harmony and more.
- Tools for exploring and developing material including writing a new song over an existing chord structure.
- Lyric writing.
- Elements of creative practice, including mental resolve, decision making, how to deal with writer’s block, seeing a song through, and industry opportunities.
- The art of co-writing.
- The production process.
The workshop is being held across three dates:
Saturday 6 July 2019 – 10.00am to 5.00pm
Sunday 7 July 2019 – 10.00am to 5.00pm
Monday 8 July 2019 – 6.00pm to 9.00pm
The workshop is limited to 20 people and participants need to be available for all sessions, which will be held at The Arts Centre in central Christchurch.
It costs $225 per adult and $150 per student (aged 15 plus) and includes lunch and refreshments. If the cost is prohibitive, please let The Arts Centre know when you apply as financial support may be available.
To apply, send the following to firstname.lastname@example.org by 3 June 2019:
- A demo track (digital file, link to website or ideas recorded with a smartphone app)
- Your artist CV
- Information about why you want to be part of this workshop
- If applicable, a link to your website or artist Facebook page or YouTube channel
All applicants will be notified about the outcome of their applications by 10 June.