The Physics Room is a contemporary art space dedicated to developing and promoting contemporary art and critical discourse in Aotearoa New Zealand.
Its gallery space is now located next to Christchurch Art Gallery’s Design Shop on Worcester Boulevard, with the management team located across the road in the Arts Centre’s Registry building
Based in central Christchurch since 1996, The Physics Room is a charitable trust that:
- assists art practitioners with resources and opportunities to achieve a higher level of professional and creative development
- encourages a greater acknowledgement, understanding and value of contemporary art among New Zealanders
- actively seeks links between the arts and other areas of cultural production
- involves art as a contributing voice in wider intellectual, social and political debate.
Office opening hours and location
- 9am – 5pm, Monday – Friday
- Level 1, 301 Montreal Street
Gallery opening hours and location
- 10am – 5pm, Tuesday – Friday; 11am – 4pm Saturday & Sunday
- 49–59 Worcester Boulevard