Monday 2 – Tuesday 31 May
10am – 4pm daily (closed Mondays 10am - 2.30pm and Sunday 22 May)
Anaerobic Video is a programme of ten video works shown between 2016 and 2022 on Masons Screen, Wellington’s public video art screen.
Featuring new commissions by Louie Zal-Neale, Gabriel White and Jamie Berry, Anaerobic Video looks at the nature of the commons, addressing e-scooters, Matariki, and the open spaces of work and the city. Other video works in Anaerobic Video trace departures and returns, from the daily commuter climb up Masons steps, to the sweeping migration of birds from coast to coast.
Anaerobic Video is presented at Te Matatiki Toi Ora and features works by artists with connections to Ōtautahi Christchurch, including Canterbury artist and lecturer John Chrisstoffels, and former residents Bena Jackson and Claire Harris.
Masons Screen is a large video monitor stationed halfway up Masons Steps, a walkway that connects the nodes of transport, government, and retail in the Wellington CBD. Since 2016, Wellington arts agency CIRCUIT Artist Moving Image has been supported by Wellington City Council to programme a new artist video every month. The project has now shown over 50 works by 50 artists.
‘Anaerobic’ is a word often associated with high intensity workouts, such as climbing stairs. At The Arts Centre and Masons Screen, Anerobic Video also refers to the endless cycle of looping artworks on display for passers by.
CIRCUIT Director Mark Williams says, ‘The screening at The Arts Centre is a great opportunity to reflect on how artists have used video to engage with public space. We are particularly looking forward to presenting this programme in Ōtautahi Christchurch, which has a strong lineage of public art through its biennial SCAPE public art event. There are also several artists in the programme with links to Ōtautahi and we are really happy to renew our partnership with The Arts Centre.’
- John Chrisstoffels | Ritornello#1 (2018). 3 mins 14 secs.
- Jamie Berry | Wai whakaika (2022). 2 mins 23 secs.
- Max Fleury and Bena Jackson | One who goes quickly (2019). 5 mins 53 secs.
- Julia Holden | #LunaMeditates (2020). 3 mins.
- Louie Zal-Neale | Mana tipua tuku iho - Transcestor (2022). 31 mins 46 secs.
- Gabriel White | Scenic Journey (2022). 9 mins 22 secs.
- Claire Harris | Beseated (2016). 2 mins 10 secs.
- Tanya Te Miringa Te Rorarangi Ruka (Ngati Pakau, Ngapuhi) | Kōhatu Tipua (Supernatural Stones) (2020). 2 mins 54 secs.
- Sam Hamilton | More or less rubbish (2017). 2 mins 42 secs.