After a year of painstaking repair and cleaning, the Great Hall’s magnificent stained glass Memorial Window is once again in pride of place over-looking Worcester Boulevard.
Comprised of about 4,000 individual pieces of glass, the window was removed to ensure its safety while major earthquake repair work was carried out on the Great Hall. The window suffered minimal earthquake damage thanks to earlier strengthening work.
Two people worked on the window continuously for one year before it was reinstalled in November 2015. A new isothermal system has been installed to protect the window from exterior elements and to aid soundproofing. The total estimated cost of the window restoration is $130,000.
In December 2015, the window was rededicated to the memory of all staff and students who served in World War One and who previously attended an institution once based on the site now known as the Arts Centre: Canterbury College, the School of Engineering, the School of Art, Christchurch Boys’ High School and Christchurch Girls’ High School. In addition, the 235 who perished are now honoured with dedication plaques that sit beneath the window.
The Memorial Window was originally installed in 1938, 20 years after its design was completed by Martin Travers – a teacher at the royal College of Art in London. It depicts the service of humanity by action and thought and includes possibly the most portraits found in any 20th century English stained glass window.
For more information on the WW100 project, please visit ww100.govt.nz.