Leighs Construction Outdoor Cinema
11 & 12 Jan, 9 Feb - North Quad
The Arts Centre is celebrating summer with another series of Leighs Construction Outdoor Cinema for the whole family – come on down and enjoy the beautifully restored spaces.
Films will be screened on the following dates in the picturesque North Quad – immersing you in one of Canterbury’s most unique and beautiful locations. Enjoy favourite movies while getting a close-up look at this remarkable restoration – the largest of its kind in the world.
Things to remember:
- Please bring a gold coin donation. The Arts Centre is a charity and is relying on your support to complete this enormous heritage project
- Space is limited so please arrive early to avoid disappointment (the quad is open to the public all day).
- Bring something to sit on, plus cash for food and drinks (Kettle Korn, Bunsen cafe, Zen Sushi & Dumplings (until 8pm) and Rollickin Gelato)
- Picnics welcome but no BYO – drinks will be available for purchase
- No smoking
- Subtitles on both movies
- Plan your trip – check this page for parking and transport options
Thursday, 11 January
- 6pm: Aladdin (G)
- 8pm: Grease (P.G. Parental guidance recommended for younger viewers)
Friday, 12 January
- 6pm: Moana (P.G. Some scenes may scare very young children.)
- 8pm: Hunt for the Wilderpeople (PG 13)
Friday, 9 February
- 6pm: To be selected by public poll
- 8pm: to be selected by public poll
Offering free outdoor cinema is a wonderful way to welcome the community back to enjoy the Arts Centre’s historic environment as it progressively re-opens to the public. There are numerous reasons to visit the Arts Centre, with it offering a growing number of art galleries and exhibits, live theatre performances, boutique retailers and artisan food and drink outlets.
The Arts Centre’s 23 buildings suffered extensive damage in the Canterbury earthquakes and incredible progress has been made on restoring their heritage features while fitting them out with the latest modern infrastructure.
While the day-to-day focus is on restoring the unique historic buildings, the driving force behind it is to create a home for creative entrepreneurs in the heart of the city that is full of activity – day and night.