25 Pipiri June - 7 Hōngongoi July 2019 - Across The Arts Centre
The Arts Centre Te Matatiki Toi Ora invites you to come together as a community/whānau to celebrate Matariki 2019 with a variety of activities – workshops, mākete (market), speakers, performance, family activities and more.
Matariki 2019 celebrates new beginnings and kai through kōrero, ngā mahi toi (art and creative making), waiata, kapa haka, and whakangahau (entertainment).
Matariki is the Māori New Year based on the lunar calendar. It is also the Māori name for the constellation known in English as the Pleiades.
The stars rise in mid-winter and heralds the start of a new year. They represent a time of seasonal change, the opportunity to reflect over the passing year, prepare ground for new growth and is a time for the community to celebrate.
It’s a time to celebrate new life, remember those who’ve passed on, and plan for the future. The start of the new dawn is a time to gather with whānau and friends and celebrate what has been and what is to come.
- Bic Runga Live in the Great Hall
- FUSH, chips, burgers and te reo Māori
- Mākete kai: A Matariki food market
- Kapa haka showcase
- Ngāti film screening
- Voices of the Land: Ngā Reo o te Whenua film screening
- Kōrero: Mahinga kai
- Kōrero: Food for Thought – Kai, culture and food fundamentals
- Resourceful skills workshops and tours
- Fantastic Feasts Matariki activity
- KĀKĀRIKI – Simply Us album release
- Te Puawaitanga ki Ōtautahi
Dates: Rātū 25 Pipiri/Tuesday 25 June to Rātapu 7 Hōngongoi/Sunday 7 July 2019
Venue: Across The Arts Centre Te Matatiki Toi Ora
The Arts Centre’s Matariki programme is supported by Christchurch City Council’s Strengthening Communities Fund.